Wednesday, March 21, 2012

DYS - Fire & Ice/Wolfpack (1983-1984)


Here we have the self-titled DYS album (retitled Fire & Ice) and their earlier Wolfpack demo. When I was younger I used to skip the more metal-ish sounding stuff entirely and focus on the second half of the disc (the demo). Revisiting it all these years later though, I'm not really sure what I found so offensive about Fire & Ice. The metal/hardcore hybrid they were working at hangs together better than I remember, and when you take a good look at the timeline of things DYS were dabbling in a sub-genre that wouldn't come into vogue until years later. A record ahead of its time, really. Dave Smalley's best work, to my ears anyway, will always be his stint with Dag Nasty, but this isn't half bad either.

MEDIAFIRE

No comments:

Post a Comment